Recent violent attacks in Europe, coupled with an alarming growth in the number of extremist fighters across the globe, have sparked great concern among European citizens and governments. Unless we make a conscious effort to understand the drivers of violent extremism, and recognise that no one is born a terrorist, we will not be able to prevent future tragedies.
For many years, Search for Common Ground has actively worked to promote religious tolerance, bolster young people’s resistance to recruitment, and equip both people convicted of terrorist acts and staff in prisons with conflict prevention skills. Search’s extensive field experience in countering violent extremism allows it to play a pivotal role in strengthening engagement on peacebuilding approaches to this issue.
To this end, Search for Common Ground together with the Permanent Representation of Spain to the EU would like to invite you to a high-level policy meeting with expert speakers from the Council of Europe, European External Action Service, European Commission- Development Cooperation, International Centre of Counter Terrorism, Foundation for European Progressive Studies, Spanish Permanent Representation and Search’s representatives from various regions of the world. The meeting will examine the narrative surrounding violent extremism; re-evaluate the presence of extremist groups; share experiences of working on violent extremism in several key regions of the world, including the Sahel, Morocco, Indonesia, and virtually through online youth exchange; whilst examining policies and practices in order to help the EU fulfil its role.
This is an invitation only event. We have reached maximum capacity and RSVPs are now closed.
Confirmed speakers and agencies include:
- Welcome from Sandra Melone, Executive Vice President, Search for Common Ground
- Lena Slachmuijlder, Vice President of Programmes, Search for Common Ground, and moderator of the meeting.
- Opening remarks from the Office of EU Counter Terrorism Unit at European Council, and the Permanent Representation of Spain to the EU.
- Narrative on CVE from Marco de Swart, Senior Programme Manager at International Centre for Counter Terrorism; Annelore Beukemat, Counter Terrorism Unit, Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Royal Government of Netherlands; and Nicolas Gosset, Researcher in Eur-Asian Affairs, Royal Institute of Defence, Belgium.
- EU’s role and discussion on CVE from Maria Sanchez Gil Cepeda, EC Devco- Fragility Unit and Timothy Heath, Conflict Advisor, Conflict Prevention, Peacebuilding Mediation Unity, EEAS.
- Discussion of case studies with Search for Common Ground representatives: Sophien Ben-Achour, Sahel Programme Team Leader; Noufal Abboud, Morocco Country Director; Ikbaljan Mirsaitov, Senior Analyst, Kyrgyzstan; Scott Cunliffe, Indonesia Country Director; and Casper Van Der Heijden, Coach-Virtual Exchange, Soliya.